Welcome to Shooting Star Equine Rescue
Shooting Star Equine Rescue is committed to caring for equines that come to us due to abuse, neglect or abandonment as well as for those at risk of imminent slaughter. Loving care is given to meet each equine’s need for proper medical treatment, individual nutritional needs and daily handling in an effort to provide the rehabilitation necessary in order to eventually place them in an approved placement home.
Several current residents that are quite elderly or who have come in with extensive needs now call Shooting Star their “forever home” as sanctuary residents.
Shooting Star also works with other Midwest rescues, providing rescue to rescue transfers when necessary in order to respond to the needs of equines in need of immediate placement.
By advocating on behalf of all equines that have passed through our gates as well as for those innocent lives that were lost before we could save them in time, Shooting Star strives to be involved in community education and awareness programs designed to:
- Cooperate with other professionals and rescues in an effort to provide pamphlets, literature, and training regarding equine needs and standards for appropriate care and owner responsibility.
- Network with key individuals to better define and enforce policies and procedures regarding equine abuse/neglect as it relates to state statutes on animal cruelty.
- Provide facts and statistics on the harsh realities of our equines being brutally slaughtered in MX or Canada to be shipped for human consumption in Europe and Japan.
- To complete necessary paperwork to file for eligibility as a federal 501 C-3 non-profit rescue.
- Continue to develop our Volunteer Program.
- Become a community resource for connecting horses to people, including placement, rescue, education and training.
- Provide temporary support that enables horse owners to maintain the needs of their animals through financial setbacks.
- To create a steady source of donation support from the “Duni Original Horse Splash” paintings, and from fundraising items such as beaded horseshoes, horsehair and equine jewelry and t-shirts/ballcaps to financially support the rescue efforts.
- Grow our Sponsorship Program for sanctuary horses with the goal that every “forever horse” has a group of Angel Sponsors for the lifetime of the horse.
Careen Cain, Founder/President
Shooting Star Equine Rescue, Inc.
10527 SW Indian Hills | Wakarusa KS 66546
tel: (785) 249-1760
fax: (785) 272-3536